NFC Smart Posters
A poster or screen combined with an RFID (radio-frequency identification) tag becomes “Smart”. Simply by touching the poster or screen with an NFC (near field communications) handset launches a web browser, or other pre-defined activity, on the handset which could link to a web address URL for example.
There are many applications across multiple sectors and the possibilities will continue to expand as more phones are manufactured with NFC capability. Already mainstream in Japan, the technology is expected to grow rapidly in Asia and Europe over the next few months and years.
NFC is a short range wireless technology that enables a device to communicate with a reader. The data transfer is two-way, meaning NFC mobiles can receive data as well as send it which is important for things like authentication and security. It also makes NFC a more flexible technology than other short range wireless technology.
NFC as a technology is already widely used, Transport for London's Oyster travelcard is a great example, albeit this uses a card rather than a phone. To use it you simply swipe the phone over an NFC reader, just as users of the Oyster card 'touch in' and 'touch out' of stations on the London Underground. You don't actually have to make contact with the reader for the data transfer to occur but you do need to be within a centimetre or so.
In addition to transport and ticketing, the technology can be used to transact payments. When you swipe your phone over a reader, payment is deducted for a purchase. NFC phones or smartcards can be linked to bank accounts, so money can be debited directly from a user. Alternatively, they could be stocked up in advance with credit and then used as payment on the go.
In the context of a poster or screen, web based content can automatically be launched on a mobile phone simply by passing the phone next to the chip. This could be links to further promotional content such as video, photos, and social media. You may even be able to make a purchase or take advantage of a promotional offer immediately.
- Short-cut to pre-defined content on your mobile phone
- Effectively target customers in specific locations
- Immediately engage with and interact with customers
- Make a purchase, booking or request follow-up
- Collect and redeem vouchers
- Access control and virtual queuing
What we do:
- Consultation and development
- RFID label production / integration
- Database integration / development
- Optimised mobile content design and development
- Provide valuable performance data from a self-managed dashboard that includes number of scans, unique users, demographics, location, handset type and more. This provides critical information on how users are interacting with content